Gastronomic Tour Itinerary A 7-night self-drive tour of Ireland for the food lovers out there
Most folks hear that Irish food is bland, consisting of "meat and potatoes." This cannot be further from the truth - Ireland has experienced a food revolution, with a focus on local fish, meats and produce with influences from all over the world. Dining in Ireland is not to be missed and our Gastronomic Self Drive/Chauffeur Tour of Ireland ensures you feast throughout your journey through Ireland.
Starting in Dublin you will immediately head south to Waterford where you will enjoy Zak's Restaurant in the Athenaeum House Hotel, part of our Manor House Collection. Explore Waterford and the surrounding area and select a restaurant of your own ... we highly suggest Waterford Castle for impeccable dining!
Skip over to Killarney where you will stay at Cahernane House Hotel, just outside of the city and offering up some unique dishes (we tried the pigeon appetizer!) Head into Killarney to take in the nightlife or head south to Kenmare and enjoy dinner at the Park Hotel Kenmare.
Travel up to the Burren to explore the Cliffs of Moher, Poulnabrone Dolmen, Burren Perfumery while staying at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, home of John Sheedy's famous 2 AA Rosette restaurant. We have many favorites in this region, some very simple including Monk's in Ballyvaughan.
Finish up with a final night at Dromoland Castle, where you are treated like a King / Queen for a night. While dinner is more formal - your last breakfast is casual and leaves you with a lasting impression (and taste) of Irish cuisine.
Overnights for this tour:
- Athenaeum House Hotel, County Waterford (2 nights)
- Cahernane House Hotel, County Kerry (2 nights)
- Sheedy's Country House Hotel, County Clare (2 nights)
- Dromoland Castle, County Clare for 1 night
Your Accommodation Options:
- Manual or Automatic Car Rental w/Unlimited Miles and Basic CDW Insurance
- 6-nights Manor House Hotels
- 1-night Deluxe Castle
- Dublin - Waterford. While you'll arrive early and accommodations don't allow check-in until mid-afternoon so get on the road! Head down to Kildare and stop in Kilkenny for some sightseeing, including Kilkenny Castle. Onward to Athenaeum House Hotel in Waterford for an early check-in and relaxation before a wonderful dinner.
- Waterford. You have the day to explore downtown Waterford, including the new House of Waterford tour which details the crystal-making process. Day trip to Wexford and explore the wonderful Waterford coastline. Overnight Waterford
- Waterford - Cork - Killarney. The southern coastal route is simply gorgeous with plenty of places to stop along the way. Old Midleton Distillery is just outside of Cork, the location where they make Jameson and you can tour the facilities. Stop at Blarney Castle or spend a few hours exploring Cobh. Onward to Killarney for your overnight at Cahernane House Hotel.
- Killarney - Ring of Kerry - Skellig Michael - Beara - Killarney. We love this location because you have a few options which is good when the weather can change. Take a day trip down to Kenmare and explore the off-the-beaten-path of the Beara Peninsula or take the more popular route along the Ring of Kerry. If you want, get up early and hit Portmagee for a boat ride to Skellig Michael - you'll need reservations and it is very weather-dependent. Overnight Killarney.
- Killarney - Tralee - Cliffs of Moher - Doolin - Lisdoonvarna. Head through Tralee toward Tarbert and take the ferry to Killimer for a scenic ride across the Shannon River or visit Adare and drive around Limerick on your way to the Cliffs of Moher, passing through Lahinch and Liscannor. Visit the quaint village of Doolin on your way to Lisdoonvarna for your overnight.
- Lisdoonvarna - Galway - Lisdoonvarna. The day to explore the Burren further or take a day trip to Galway, the option is yours and there is lots to see and do in the area. You can visit Ballyvaughan, back to Doolin for a boat trip to the Cliffs of Moher, visit the Burren Perfumery, Poulnabrone Dolmen and Ailwee Cave. Overnight in Lisdoonvarna.
- Lisdoonvarna - Galway - Lisdoonvarna. You don't have far to travel today and this is on purpose; you can visits sites you missed yesterday with enough time to check in to Dromoland Castle a little early, if your room is available. Take advantage of their many amenities, our favorite being the Spa!
- Shannon Airport. Today travel to Shannon Airport for your return flight home. Always arrive 3-hours early for International flights, US Customs Preclearance is done here and lots of shopping for last-minute, duty-free souvenirs.