Scenic Southwest Itinerary A 7-night self-drive tour of the gorgeous southwest of Ireland
Ireland’s South West is the most popular region in Ireland and many people spend the majority of their time touring and relaxing here. Caressed by the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, the climate is temperate enough for Glengarriff Bamboo Park to grow numerous varieties of bamboo in Ireland.
Flying in and out of Shannon is a must to maximize your time in the South West of Ireland and we'll have you hit the ground running by heading to the furthest point of your itinerary, Cork. Stay in the harbor town of Kinsale as you visit Blarney Castle, Cobh Heritage Museum, Charles Fort and the fine dining in Kinsale itself. Move on to Killarney, perhaps hitting the Ring of Beara along the way and choose from many day trips from Killarney, including Dingle, Gap of Dunloe, Skellig Michael, Ring of Kerry -- so many choices!
Overnights for this tour:
- Kinsale (2 nights)
- Killarney (3 nights)
- Doolin (2 nights)
Your Accommodation Options:
- Manual or Automatic Car Rental w/Unlimited Miles and Basic CDW Insurance
- 7-nights accommodations (choose from B&B, Hotels, Manor Homes and/or Castles)
- Shannon - Blarney Castle - Kinsale. We make you drive the furthest distance the first day because you arrive early and cannot check-in to accommodations until later in the afternoon so get the vacation started by hitting the road! The drive is pretty straight and slightly boring as you head toward Mallow and on to Cork City. You can stop in Blarney to visit the Castle before descending into the quaint harbor town of Kinsale. You can get acquainted with the towns layout this first day and plot your touring for the next day. Kinsale is known for their food and you'll have no problem finding amazing restaurants and pubs for the night. Overnight Kinsale.
- Kinsale - Cobh - Kinsale. There are plenty of great little towns and villages along the southern coast to explore, the most notable being Cobh, just east of Kinsale. Lots to see and do in Cobh before heading back to Kinsale for the evening. Overnight Kinsale.
- Kinsale - Clonakilty - Skibbereen - Bantry - Kenmare - Killarney. While this is a long day, the scenery is going to blow your mind as you skim the coast and up through the mountains where Ladies View with make you breathless. Stop often and get lost ... you'll be glad you did. One of our favorite stops is in Ballylickey, Cork where you will find Manning's Emporium - experience Irish cheeses and charcuterie plates. Kenmare is another quaint stop along the way. Overnight Killarney.
- Killarney - Ring of Kerry - Dingle - Beara Peninsula - Killarney. We love this location because you have a few options which is good when the weather can change. Take a day trip down to Kenmare and explore the off-the-beaten-path of the Beara Peninsula or take the more popular route along the Ring of Kerry. If you want, get up early and hit Portmagee for a boat ride to Skellig Michael - you'll need reservations and it is very weather-dependent. Overnight Killarney.
- Killarney - Ring of Kerry - Dingle - Beara Peninsula - Killarney. Whatever you didn't get to do yesterday, you can try and do it today... coming back "home" and relaxing after a day of touring. Overnight Killarney.
- Killarney - Tralee - Cliffs of Moher - Doolin. Head through Tralee toward Tarbert and take the ferry to Killimer for a scenic ride across the Shannon River or visit Adare and drive around Limerick on your way to the Cliffs of Moher, passing through Lahinch and Liscannor. Overnight Doolin.
- Doolin - The Burren - Galway - Doolin. The day to explore the Burren further or take a day trip to Galway, the option is yours and there is lots to see and do in the area. You can visit Ballyvaughan, back to Doolin for a boat trip to the Cliffs of Moher, visit the Burren Perfumery, Poulnabrone Dolmen and Ailwee Cave. Overnight in Doolin.
- Shannon Airport. Today travel to Shannon Airport for your return flight home. Always arrive 3-hours early for International flights, US Customs Preclearance is done here and lots of shopping for last-minute, duty-free souvenirs.