County tyrone Things to DoList of sites and attractions in County tyrone
Arboe High Cross, , County Tyrone
Arboe High Cross, in Farsnagh townland, is a tall slender object with only one portion of the ring missing. The Cross is a typical Scripture Cross with many carved panels with figure sculpture. Some panels feature geometrical and other decoration. Many of the panels are greatly weathered and unclear.
A decorated panel encircles the shaft about three-quarters of the way up. On the west side below the decoration there are four figure panels. The top panel shows the Flight into Egypt, but the others are not clear. Above the decoration a panel with three figures possibly represents the Arrest of Christ and there is a Crucifixion at the cross. On the east side the bottom panel shows Adam & Eve. Above this is Abraham & Isaac.
At the cross is the Last Judgement or possibly Christ In Glory. The bottom panel on the south face shows Cain & Abel. The church nearby is a simple rectangular structure measuring 19m by 6m, with a north doorway and a pointed east and west window. There are two windows in the north and south walls. The walls are 1m thick. It probably dates from the ealy 17th century. The memorials in the churchyard range from 18th century to modern. One stone of 1759 is topped by a cross flanked by carved faces. Some stones feature two winged cherubs and one stone has three. The graveyard is still in use.
Ulster American Folk Park, Castletown, County Tyrone
The Ulster American Folk Park is a 50 acre outdoor museum which illustrates the story of emigration in the 18th and 19th centuries from Ireland to North America.
Over 20 different houses and buildings to explore around the Park with costumed guides and craftsmen to demonstrate some of the crafts and skills from Ulster and America.
Centre for Emigration Studies - providing reference resources for the study of history of both the United States and Ulster in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Beaghmore Stone Circles, Cookstown, County Tyrone
Stone circles are quite common in certain areas of eastern, southern and northern Ireland, but nowhere is there a greater concentration than at Beaghmore. There, in the peat of mountain bog north-west of Cookstown, excavations in 1945 revealed three pairs of low stone circles of varying sizes and one separate example which distinguishes itself from the others in being filled with over 800 small stones placed upright like dragon's teeth within the circle. Most of the circles have small stone alignments touching them at a tangent, and there is frequently also a small cairn of stones close by. The precise function of this complex assemblage of stonework is now impossible to ascertain, but it may have been used during the second millennium B.C. for the recording of movements of the sun and moon.
, Straben, County Tyrone
, Castleberg, County Tyrone
, Newtownstewart, County Tyrone
Dungannon, County Tyrone
Dungannon (from the Irish: Dún Geanainn meaning "Geanann's fort") is a town in County Tyrone in Northern Ireland. It is the third-largest town in the county (after Omagh and Strabane) and a population of 11,139 people was recorded in the 2001 Census. In August 2006, Dungannon won the Ulster In Bloom Best Kept Town award for the fifth time. It contains the headquarters of the Dungannon and South Tyrone Borough Council. An interesting feature of the town is the former police barracks at the top right-hand corner of the market square which is quite unlike any other barracks of a similar vintage in Ireland. A popular but apocryphal story relates that the unusual design of this building is due to a mix-up with the plans in Dublin which meant Dungannon got a station designed for the Khyber Pass in Afghanistan and they got a standard Irish barracks, complete with a traditional Irish fireplace.
Omagh, County Tyrone
Omagh (pronounced /'omæ/; from the Irish: An Ómaigh meaning "The Sacred (or Virgin) Plain") is the county town of County Tyrone in Northern Ireland, situated where the rivers Drumragh and Camowen meet to form the Strule. It is the county town of Tyrone, having taken the title from Dungannon around 1768. The town is said to owe its origins to an abbey founded in 792 AD, making it one of the oldest towns in Ireland.