County cavan Things to DoList of sites and attractions in County cavan
Belturbet, County Cavan
Belturbet lies at one of the best places for crossing the River Erne. Belturbet is now a thriving angling town with a marina. It is now an established base for cruiser hire also. The Railway Station, which was recently restored in Belturbet, is now home to a new Railway Visitor Centre. It tells the history of Belturbet Railway which was built in 1885. It houses an interesting collection of railway memorabilia.
Cavan, County Cavan
Cavan (pronounced /ˈkævən/; Irish: An Cabhán, meaning ‘The Hollow’) is the county seat of County Cavan in Ireland. The town lies in the northeast of the island, along the border with Northern Ireland. The town is located on the main road - the N3 road - linking Dublin (to the south) with Enniskillen, Ballyshannon and Donegal Town (to the north). In the late 19th century Cavan became an important rail junction between the midland and western lines and those of the Northern Railways. The Town Hall was built in 1909. In 1938 work began on the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saints Patrick and Felim. Three miles west of Cavan town is the Anglican Kilmore Cathedral, which contains a Romanesque doorway dating from the 12th century. Farnham House to the northwest of Cavan town is one of the largest houses in Co. Cavan. It is believed to have been built for the Maxwell family in 1810 and designed by Francis Johnston a Dublin architect. It was recently sold by the widowed Lady Farnham to a local entrepreneur and the house and estate is now converted to a luxury hotel and leisure complex under the Radisson SAS international hotel group.
Cootehill, County Cavan
Cootehill in County Cavan is one of Ireland’s premier angling centers. Every year it becomes home base for hundreds of satisfied anglers.
Drumlane Monastic Site County Cavan, Milltown, County Cavan
Idyllic setting between Lakes Drumlane and Derrybrick. Round tower and church mark the sixth century monastic site. Church building is from thirteenth or fourteenth century. Half a mile form Milltown village.
Killenagh Church County Cavan, Blacklion, County Cavan
The church was built on an original sixth century monastic site founded by St. Laigneach who was closely associated with St. Brigid. . A four-walled shell is all that remains from this twelfth century church.
Cloughouthter Castle, Killeshandra, County Cavan
Tucked away in a remote corner of the Erne River system, on a tiny island in Lough Oughter, stands the ruined circular tower of Cloughoughter - a modest-sized castle with a surprisingly prominent history. It was probably begun by William Gorm de Lacy between 1200 and 1224, possibly on the site of a crannog, after the Normans seized parts of the O'Rourke kingdom of Breifne. The lower two storeys can be ascribed to this phase; it had loops but no entrance on the ground floor, three doorways and at least two windows at first-floor level and possibly a curtain wall on the west side.
Cabra Castle, Kingscourt, County Cavan
Cabra Castle is a 3 star, Irish Tourist Board approved hotel, set on 100 acres of gardens and parkland. Formerly known as Cormey Castle, the property was bought in the early nineteenth century by Colonel Joseph Pratt who rebuilt it, and renamed it Cabra Castle. Cabra was once the centre of a 1000 acre estate straddling the borders of Cavan, Monaghan and Meath, though most of the land now forms part of the Dun Na Ri National Forest Park. Nearby, lies the charming town of Carrickmacross, home of the famous lace. The neighbouring town of Kells with its High Crosses and Round Tower, and the Georgian village of Slane are steeped in history. The magnificent complex of Bronze Age tombs of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth are well renowned, all offer.
Run a Ri, Kingscourt, County Cavan
The Forest Park embracing part of the Cabra Estate formerly owned by the Pratt family, it is situated in the Parish of Enniskeen. The Romantic Glen of the Cabra River, stretching the full length of the Park, it is an area steeped in history and legend, it is said that Cuchulain camped there at night while by day conducting his single handed defence of Ulster against the armies of Maeve. The Normans were here also and in later years the glen echoed to the sounds of Cromwells armies. Dun A Ri is a forest of 229 hectares, 146 hectares of this land is managed as a commercial forest where the intentions to produce a valuable timber crop which will benefit the economy of the country. Oak trees in Dun A Ri are managed to produce a valuable veneer crop.